Monday, July 21, 2008

This morning

I looked around at vintage keyboards from the 60’s,70’s. Ever since the British invasion of Rock n’ Roll of the 1960’s the keyboard and learning how to play had always been lurking within my consciousness. It was a seed that was planted but I never went on to become a gardener. Until in my later years. I had the attitude “I can do that when I’m older.” I’m learning now before it’s too late. So I discovered some months back a great site on Vintage keyboards. Then while searching for their sounds on YouTube I discovered “The Rhodes Mark 7.” This is an amazing instrument but I always thought it was in the camp of the Vintage Keyboards. It looks vintage but upon doing some research I discovered this is a recent release from Rhodes. The thing about musical keyboards is for the most part, they sound differently. A Vox Continental sounds a lot different then a Hammond. Reed organs sound a lot different then electric keyboards and so on. The Rhodes has a distinct flavor, think Stevie Wonder. The Rhodes has more of a bubbly Jazz type sound to it but it’s really rich and phat. I discovered later that this is a current model Rhodes has had out now for a few years. There’s not a lot of bells and whistles to this thing. I love the sound of a Rhodes piano but the Mark 7 is a little beyond my price range. I was looking at vintage keyboards on Ebay and it looks like some lucky guy on Ebay is going to get a Farfisa for under $500 bucks. So far nobody has matched his bid within the last couple of days. I should place a bid but I have other things to do with my vacation pay.

Most important is to get an external hard drive for this computer so I can start backing up my hard drive before I get the “Blue screen of death" again. Also with my vacation pay I want to get some writing enhancement software. I know the program I want. I’ve been on their mailing list for the past year now.

I don’t know about Pizza just yet. With 17 CC’s again last week I think what I’m going to do is work a couple of extra shifts this week. Tonight, I’m really going to push for the CC’s. I don’t mind the paper balls, it’s the yelling and laughing the customer can hear in the background where I’ve been sitting. But if I got the 17 CC’s that would have been $35 + $25. $60. That’s about half of what I need for my hard drive. I want to go in for 1pm tomorrow and work those 7 hours and do the same for Wednesday. This way, I’ll have 29.5 hours in.

Now maybe the Rhodes Mark 7 is realistically out of reach for me. Unless I win the lottery. I’d stand a better chance of being a victim in a pedestrian accident here in Edmonton then winning the “Big one.” But the Yamaha PSR. S900 is more within my reach. At $350/month as of August, $1,500 plus my vacation pay. Well that’s the idea anyway. But I have other things to get like 6/49 tickets and Science Fiction books at American pricing while I can. Best I can do is shell out $200/month. I’d be looking at 9 months. Next April. I’ll be popping into the store once a month. It’ll still be there.

As for tonight, it’s Monday night Raw.

Anyway Bloggers, that‘s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: