Monday, July 7, 2008

It's a beautiful

Monday out there. As for me it’s the same old Monday routine: Into work come home watch Raw. I woke up with a headache this morning and went to bed with another soar tooth in my lower right side of my mouth. At the moment I’m working on my first coffee feeling pretty good.

I got up late so I missed the markets this morning. I think Oil is still at around $145/barrel. I recall back in 1995 Oil was at $17/barrel and we were in the heart of a recession here. My father was still alive in 1995 and I was still living in my bachelor apartment. Despite all that the 1990’s were good to me. I liked everything about the ‘90’s except the music. I was working most of the time from 1990-1994. I had to use welfare the odd time in between unemployment cheques to get that started. 1995-1999 I had about half a dozen different jobs and did some post secondary education while on UIC. I went on a weekend Amway trip to Minneapolis in 1997 and that was fun. I was working with Royal Oak furniture at the time but it was only a temporary project. I could have got on with my current place of employment right after that but I thought they had nothing but part time hours. I got Pledges and Silky in the 1990’s. I had Veronica as my girlfriend. I should have kept her longer then I did. The Oiler’s won their last Stanley Cup in the 1990’s as well.

Coast has another boring show on tonight. A medium and “healer.” Oh brother. The LHC will be activated today. The most anticipated scientific event in the world and Coast has a flakey medium on? Maybe they might preempt the show for this important occasion but I doubt it. Maybe George will have something about it the first hour.

Even despite the challenges of the 2000’s I’m doing a lot better then I did in the 1990’s or at any other time of my life. The local economy is a lot better. I got married and joined the Lodge, I’m even learning how to play piano. I’ve got a better computer then I’ve ever had before. We got Sparky and Sporty within the last 8 years and I published a short story last year as well. The down parts of the 2,000’s have been my vision loss. We didn’t know what was going to happen until last June when the laser surgery worked. Before that I had learned I have diabetes and I was in the Royal Alex hospital for a week. I’m taking 2 shots of 18 units of insulin everyday. Sure I miss living in the 1970’s and 1980’s and who wouldn’t want to live at a time when they were younger but for what it’s worth life in the 1990’s and in this decade have been a lot better.

I think we all have had events in our lives where we wish we could go back and maybe change something. But by changing the past (even if we could) we could miss out on the good things that have happened as well. I need a connection with my past but not to dwell on it. My past helps me appreciate what I have now. If that makes any sense. The only things I miss about the 1990’s is gaming with my friends over “Starfleet Battles” and playing “Advanced Squad Leader.” I’m missing one ASL rule book change and about 8 modules. The last ASL module I bought was Croix de Guerre and that was in 1995. Alright enough of that.

I’ve been checking the LHC countdown clock on their website over the last few days but it’s been down lately. Today is ground zero anyway for the activation of the LHC. It’s not going to be the end of the world. The real-world spin-off application of the LHC will be “The Grid” and that excites me more then the remote possibility of finding the Higgs particle. I’m not suggesting that they won’t find the Higgs or even find traversable wormholes but I’m not going to hold my breath expecting any big news like: “We have found wormholes and are finding ways to keep them open for longer then a billionths of a second.” They’ll be turning the LHC on today but we’ll never be updated about it until the make an important discover, whenever that’ll be. So don’t hold your breath waiting. “Bring on the Grid for the rest of us,” is all I can say. I’m still trying to find a site that says “We’re activating the LHC in one minute.” But so far nobody’s saying anything about it.

Anyway Bloggers, that‘s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: