Wednesday, August 20, 2008

yesterday was still

warm when I left out of here to go to work but it wasn‘t like +28C or anything. I managed to read a bit of “Judas Unchained” on the train in.
I got a dialer and settled in. We ended up doing CF. I mentioned to one of the staff that we should be doing “Halloween O Ramma” soon but she said we lost that campaign. What a shocker! I rather liked doing HOR. Also Rob gave his kick-off yesterday morning she said and said something like how the whole office will be revamped in October. “Only the best will be working.” Whatever that means. He was lamenting about a 3-10pm shift a few weeks back. Anne’s going to put her name in at Pizza, she’s off this whole week. Right now we’ve just got my income coming in. I’m going to be very surprised if I have a job at Xl to go to by the end of the year. It’s not because of the economy it’s because of the lawsuit last year on our company and the new regulations against telemarketing. I ended up at the break with $78 on CF and Moe sends me over to the other side and I do CBF. I ended up doing $500 in 2 hours and 2 credit cards. I had a better night.

I was glad to get out of the office when 9pm rolled around. It was comfortable weather wise leaving with Tom (One of the recent semi employees that takes the train but goes the other way.) I got a seat on a packed train and read. Lots of people taking in “The Fringe.” “The Big Kahuna.” Sounds like a great name for a Starship doesn’t it? Anyway, the #11 bus was pulling out and waited for passengers at Clairview when I got off the train. For a 9:35pm bus on a weekday night, it was packed. I got home and there was my wife with the Vacuum cleaner on. She went to get her B-Bell cake earlier. She gets about 3 of them/year. One for my Birthday and one for hers and one for Christmas. They cast about $20 each and are really nice, good quality.

I like my evening meal around 11pm while I’m watching the evening news. My dinner consisted of (my favorite) instant mashed potatoes, 2 processed rib-let racks (Nice product from Presidents choice) some pees and even dressing and a big glass of diet Coke. I was set. Then after I finished dinner, Anne brings out a Happy B-day slice of cake for me with lighted candles. It was really nice as we sang “Happy Birthday” for Jimmy! Hehe. Anne got me a Polo t-shirt but it was a bit small on me and a badly needed mouse pad. Yesterday was a pretty good day.

Some National news: It seems there’s rumblings of a fall election. The Tories are slightly ahead in the polls of the Liberals. If the Liberals get in then they’ll introduce a very unpopular National Carbon Tax. An NCT will seriously slow down our economy. The plan is called “The Green shift.” More like “The Green shaft.” Even after the National Energy program (NEP) introduced by Trudeau in the late 1970’s, it took Billions of dollars out of our local economy. The NEP sent thousands of people unemployed and devastated our economy. When PC leader Brian Mulroney was in power in 1989 he abolished the NEP program but it took almost 10 years before Alberta recovered from the NEP economic devastation. Now if the Liberals get elected and Dion introduces his NCT, it will be another version of the NEP which was nothing more then a tax grab anyway. This is essentially the same thing. In July the BC government (Liberal) introduced a Provincial carbon tax. Sure each BC resident got a $100 out of it but the program cost something like $440 million. The tax is very unpopular in BC. And it seems only a few Provinces are exempt (Ontario and Quebec of course.) from the NCT. Dion’s plan calls for $15B in taxes he says are "revenue neutral." Yeah right. All that for a $150/year rebate cheque to fight “global warming?” Thanks Dion but no thanks. Who’s going to be paying for this “Green shift?” Albertan’s. So this is why a NCT plan is a bad idea. So I can only hope that if Harper is going to call an election this fall, he’ll be able to win another minority Government.

I had a couple of hours on the computer before bed after midnight and worked on a test static page to try some basic HTML CSS. In my test page (as I was following along from a YouTube video tutorial) I got lost with positioning a CSS element. It’s an absolute position but the command string was lost and when the new one was added it wiped out the previous command, obviously. I’ll try it again tonight after work.

I also did some piano practice as well before bed. I’m going to have trouble with the C chord on my right hand because of my 4th finger is broken or sprained or something. I can lift it but not that far off a black key. I can do broken chords of course. I’ll get better as I go along but to implement the C-chord with proper right hand positioning is going to be hard. My left hand is fine.

This morning I got up about 5:45am and did the cbi thing and read more from “Judas Unchained.” The author makes some obvious cliché’s but this is understandable as these are part of the characters thought processes. We all use cliché’s to some degree in everyday language. Are these cliché’s or just worn out phrases?

I haven’t been doing much fiction writing of my own this summer as I had hoped to do. Mostly it’s been Blog writing. I’ve been doing piano work, reading and website stuff. That sort of thing. I’ve been working a bit on a short story but nothing on that over the last few weeks. I still want to get out a hard copy this fall. I need to really work on the language and turn that up a notch. I’ve got a couple of ideas for longer pieces of writing and I’ve been hashing at them as well.

Anyway Bloggers, that‘s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: