Thursday, August 21, 2008

Not a lot going

on for today. The usual go into work at 4pm home by 9:30pm, that sort of thing.

Weather wise, it's been a lot cooler lately. It's nice getting that break from the +30C we had earlier during the week but the temperature is supposed to warm up for the weekend. That's alright.

I received my Lodge newsletter last night on my desk, and it's hard to believe Lodge is only a few weeks away. I always enjoy Lodge nights and this time I'm going to try and put an extra shift in while I can for that week. Maybe I'll sneak a morning shift in as there are no emergent meetings this month.

I got a facebook message from my niece Jenn wishing me a happy B-day. All of my immediate family is in Victoria. Jenn is out from my only sister's kids and now Lea is a grandmother. Wow at 56 sure makes me feel old.

One of the big social problems we have here in Edmonton facing mostly businesses is tagging. You know the graffiti that's placed all over any bare space imaginable? I was thinking about this recently. The City says (in its "infinite wisdom") that it's up to the business owner (that is the real victim of being tagged) to clean it up the mess or face a fine. What? The area in question is the LRT corridor from Rexall place to Stadium but it could be anywhere. Usually the offenders that do the tagging (mostly) are teens. One business along the LRT corridor said last night how they spent roughly about $5000 on paint to paint over the mess. An alternative? Use the "Mosquito." It's a device that is no bigger then a 5 lb bowling ball but repels teens away with its screeching audible only to teens. They can't stand it and won't linger around to take the amount of time it takes to tag a wall. Of course it's not just teens that do the tagging. Young adults in the 20's do it as well and it is a criminal offence. I'm sure business are aware of the
Mosquito. I mean for the $1,500 price tag, it's a teen deterrent that might eliminate some tagging.

Anyway, as for me not much is going on for today. Yesterday afternoon I went into Audrey's books and bought L. Ron Hubbard's "Mission Earth" book 1. These are all special order books.I also picked up Timothy Zhan's "The third Lynx." Most of these new novels i picked up recently won;t be read for a couple of years yet. For example I bought "Judas Unchained" last October and "Pandora's Star a year before that. but these are huge books. "Judas Unchained" for example has 1008 pages. I'm at 400/1008. My next book after this is the "Icewind Dale" trilogy Forgotten Realms Collectors edition. This one has 1023 pages! By the time I finish "Judas Unchained" at the rate I read won't be until the end of September. Maybe. The "Icewind Dale" trilogy will take me the rest of the year. I should order another copy because it says "collectors edition."

Anyway Bloggers, that's all for now.

e. Jim

No comments: