Friday, August 29, 2008

Good news bad news, I guess...

Overnight we went to bed at our usual time but I woke up around 6:20am to do the cbi thing. Feed Cats, Breakfast, Insulin. Then I read for a bit. This usually tires me out enough to sleep. About 7am I went to bed and still couldn't’t sleep. I tossed and turned about. So, I got up again and did a bit more reading. Then my wife gets up and makes some popcorn to feed the birds across the street. About 9:15am I’m sufficiently tired enough to go back to sleep. But now I’m worried about our rent money for September. Or lack there of. My next cheque wont be until next Friday because of the long weekend and Lodge night. Also, my wife’s place of employment wasn't answering their phone yesterday so she could go get her pay cheque. We need that cheque today. Our rent is due Monday/well Tuesday. Nice thing to have on my mind while trying to get some sleep right?


Then I’m in bed sleeping soundly at last. I look at the clock and it’s 1pm, “Honey you want to call work?” mumble-something-mumble. WTF? Next thing I know the lights flash on and there’s Anne flinging a piece of paper at me. “our rents gone up.” I’m half awake and Anne is going into panic mode. I put the water on for coffee and my reading glasses on to take a look at the notice. Our rent went up by $50. Big deal. We’re panicking for that? It’s kind of like a good news bad news thing. Bad news the rent went up by only $50. Good news is that it could have been a lot worse. Some more good news is that because of the new Laws, they can only raise the rent once every 12 months. So we won’t have to worry about increases like over $100/200+ Tuesday I’m going in early to put a few extra hours in and to get the note there for Rob to fill out so we can apply for our subsidy. Yet she's got 2 jobs now. She goes in for training on her new job in 2 weeks and even though her current job often cuts her hours that's not sustainable. Now she has an opportunity for another job, which has better and more stable hours.


Anne managed to call her work and they have the cheques ready. Whew, our rent is covered. Plus the full Cheque I gave her last night. When she gets out of here and goes off to her job to pick up her cheque she’ll figure this thing out. It could have been a lot worse. It’s tough trying to be a science fiction-writer. But I’ve learned a long time ago, that life is a struggle. It’s all about paying ones dues I suppose.


Anyway Bloggers, that‘s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: