Monday, July 20, 2009

Its been an intersting weekend to say the least

Yesterday when I went into the office there were after effects of Saturday nights storm by The Days Inn. A good chunk of fallen tree lay on the sidewalk. Even out here there were branches broken on the ground. None of these trees were up rooted out behind us here but many trees in various parts of the city were. Lightening caused a house fire not far away from us. Wind were gusting 100K at times. A pedway connecting to the CN tower was destroyed. Capital X was shut down sending patrons scattering for the LRT at nearby Coliseum station. There were hundreds of people lining the stairwell and stairs trying to get to one of the many contingency buses the City had out there. Many of the trees that got uprooted or were split apart stood for about 70 years. In my wife’s place of work on the 17th floor they could feel the window panes shake and curtains move. The storm shut down Whyte Ave, the Capital X and a few local businesses and even parts of the LRT. Even lights in our place dimmed a couple of times. Luckily thee wee no injuries reported and no fatalities. For awhile there the storm got so bad that even Tweeter featured Edmonton as one of the top key words. It was quite the storm. We usually get about one of these every couple of years due to a hot summer day when the temperatures get to above +28C. We got 1 day that’s about +28-+30C this week yet. Good thing Anne had brought Boots inside.

You know there are a lot of flakey people out there, Earlier Anne was telling me how she went out behind us here and looked up at the other suits to see about that squirrel if she could spot it. People were out on their balconies enjoying the night air. Then she mentioned how on her way to work this crazy man came aggressively towards her in broad daylight in her face yelling at her for her not to look up at their balcony. He swore at her called her a name. This person has got to have a mental problem. She asked me, when I come home for me to go outback stand there and look around and glance up to the balconies. She recalls now there were two guys sitting on their balcony. She said it must really annoy them. But tonight is Monday night Raw but I can always catch what I miss Tuesday afternoon. Anne said don’t go and stair at those guys but just stand around and occasionally glance up as if I’m looking for something. Apparently it annoys them anyone looking up at them. Good, if they are there I’m going to annoy them. I said Anne should have told the caretaker, but the caretaker and my wife are on shaky ground at the moment. Some people really should seek mental help and if I annoy them I’ll make a point of saying they need help. Are they the balcony police or something? Yeesh, some people.

In about half an hour were going to call Revenue Canada and have them issue us another gst cheque. Most likely we’ll get the cheque sometime next week.

I’m still reading “The Wilding.” Again it’s a slow go (on my part) There are 2 basic story arcs going on. This is still the first 50 pages. The writing is flowing better then the previous book and is a little more accessible. I’d like to finish this in August.

Well, ZZ top is guest host of Monday night Raw. I don’t know if I like the way this is going. I like the idea of a guest general manager and all but let it be somebody that is on the inside. One of the “hall of fame” for example. They could have Jerry Lawler for example or Jake “the snake” Roberts or Mean Gene, or anyone of a dozen others.

Last night while watching “Attack of the show.” Or AS, they were talking about Blip. Fm and how it works with Twitter etc. You set yourself up as a DJ search for songs/videos you like of your favorite artists and blip them. Some DJ’s have lots of listeners. I thought this would be a great way to fill up the “My Music” block. Music is very important to me as a writer. Initially I opened a free account and began toying with this and had 14 tracks of The Clash loaded up or Blips. Then I found a nifty widget I could put in the block and it works fine except I realized I had to change my DJ name but when I did I lost all the Clash blips recorded earlier. But I don’t want just The Clash tunes, I want The Beatles, David Bowie, Kansas, Sweet, Abba, etc in there. This is why widget reads empty and I'm going to install the code for a widget here soon as well. I’ll be playing around with it after Raw tonight.

And finally SF Signal has some cool SFF book covers on display today. I like Enigma by SF Bently the best. Cool looking cover.

Anyway gang, that‘s all for now.

No comments: