Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Yesterday wasn't half bad

No snags getting to work.

I finished "In Conquest born" and I went and put a "review" of sorts on my website.

Speaking about books though, I've been using "Good reads" and I really like this interface they have set up with Blogger. It makes all my editing changes does all the FTP and everything right within Goodreads. The interface is really slick. All I have to do is edit the shelves. I remove what I'm currently reading when I'm done a book and when I add a new selection within Goodreads that selection reflects on my Blogger page. Slick. Also Blogger aligns up nicely with facebook notes and Twitter.

In my 20's I wanted to become a comic book artist but I had no talent in drawing. Sure I got the odd "how to" book and such and had a drafting drawing table and I got pretty good at it for awhile even though my work was unpolished I was going some place with it. It was developing and I could see some improvement developing as an artist. I realized early the odds of becoming good enough to work for Marvel or DC were almost impossible. The competition was stiff. Still is, even for good artists. My favorite medium was pencil. By that I mean color pencils. I could draw faces ok but I was really week in drawing full human forms. I also had no goals or path to take. Like writing how do I build up a portfolio? How and where could I expose my work? Well, life sort of got in the way and I left my drawing table behind when I moved from my little bachelor pad in New West in 1974. That dream like others evaporated. I used to like building Historex Napoleonic 54 mm figures. I'd build say for example a Austrian foot soldier and then study the anatomy from various angles and sketch them out. I had no formal art training. Now I think I'd like to take an art course. Building those models helped me to draw. This time though I'd like to draw simple things with SFF themes. Maybe draw from Warhammer models, stuff like that. I'm seriously thinking about taking a formal art course, part time evenings or on a Saturday and get that drawing table again.

Of course this would mean I would need my evenings off. might mean a job change for me as well. A distinct possibility.

Anyway gang, that's all for now..........

No comments: