Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Its the Dog days of Summer, again

I got up a little on the late side of bed today. Actually I was up at 11am and I should have stayed up but I needed the extra 1.45 minutes or so of sleep.

Last night I’m in the office just as the afternoon shift ends and I’m looking for empties. I’m at station #!5 but Super wants me in the back. So I’m scooting up over with the rest trying to get the end dialer. Beating out one of the staff like a ball player trying to make it to plate before the baseman tags him and the Umpire says “Safe.” I felt bad about being rude to one of the girls that I kind of took the dialer from. I apologised to her before we got started. later I took the next dialer over and there was this wallet lying on the table. It was one of the day staff people and it was opened up. There was money inside credit cards etc. Dave said it was probably Tasha’s, Subvere is his best friend one of the other staff that worked with us. I picked it up and handed it over to Subvere who thanked me for it. A few minutes later as I was right into making calls and in between calls Tasha and Subvere came over and thanked me for rescuing his wallet. I recall how Dave sitting next to me had his wallet stolen the same way a few months back and he had $500 in it from his cheque he just cashed. Tasha handed me $5 as a reward but I couldn’t take this. He kind of shoved it into my top pocket, It wasn’t necessary, but the event kind of made me the hero in the office for the evening. I felt kind of good about this. That news will spread around. We were doing Cops again and I ended up pulling in $480 by break and I got more empties and I thought because Dave and I came upon the wallet more or less at the same time, I’d split the $5 and give Dave half. He could use it towards a pack of smokes.

Anyway I rode the train to Clairview with one of the other tap ladies I work with and caught my bus home. I was about 5 min away from Raw but I wanted to go outside to annoy the people that treated my wife badly the other day. I talked with Anne from the grass to the balcony as she was leaning over and I saw one of them up there. Anne came out to see me and we made it look like we were looking around she glanced up a few times. The character was sitting with his back towards the wall and his legs up so he couldn’t see us. We went back inside and I watched Monday night Raw. It wasn’t a bad show.

Yesterday was pretty good. One of the day staff sitting to my right was telling me that they’ve stopped the practice of having vacation pay accrued. Too many people coming and going around here. Our place is full most nights but if bm ever wanted to he could open business and have lines going in there. There’s another 20-30 stations there.

Other then that, not much is going on. It’s the “Dog days of summer.” I’m still working my way through “The Wilding.” Still working on that short story which I’ll be getting into later tonight when I’m home.

Speaking of changes and all at work, Dave was saying that he and his mom got their dialers shut off at 3pm because the other day because they were not at line hour. The afternoons are tough. But at the same time, this well give me a an hour or so of time to read or go across the street to the job bank and look around for another job something better. If I’m shut down at 3pm I can be at the job bank in 5 minutes. I used to go there and hang out read the paper look for jobs use the phone etc before I got married.

Unemployment around here is modest. Lots of people are still flocking to Edmonton as the place to be. Especially now that the Capital X is in full swing and all the activities around here. Walmart up the street is still open 24 hours. Oil is climbing up again not at $66 something. The markets are bouncing back almost reaching the 9k point. I’m not a 100% sure on this but what a year ago you could get a job in a matter of days. Now it’s a matter of weeks. Despite the downturn in the economy things around here are picking up but I'm still hearing how people are being laid off here in Alberta and Edmotnon and all around the country. Thing is people are still spending money. They're still driving their cars going to bars and shows. I noticed another construction project of some kind getting started on just on the other side of the manning overpass on my way to work last night.

Anyway gang, that‘s all for now

No comments: