Saturday, December 13, 2008

Winter storm

We’re in the middle of an extreme winter storm right now folks. Temperature out there is -23C with a wind chill of -34C. We’ve had it good until as of last week. Even as of the other night Thursday was mild, almost spring like.

Yesterday when I left out of here at 4pm it was -8C. I can’t recall what the wind chill factor was but it was really windy. It was cold but not unbearably so. I got into the office a little after 4:30pm and got my dialer and had a coffee. It was slow going sales wise and I think we’re going off this CPA thing. Moe moved us to the other side where we originally were. I got one CC sale and a total of $465. After work I braved the cold and headed over to Audrey’s. I got book 1 of Peter F. Hamilton’s “Night’s dawn” trilogy and Book two is there. I’ve got 2 books behind the special order desk left, including FF #2 at American pricing. The book I bought was just under $20. When I get my vacation pay next week (if it all comes in) I’ll pick up Book 2. Book 3 isn’t out yet at Audrey’s.

So I got home and did my admin stuff and went online expecting my wife to give me a call but I didn’t hear the phone ring. I think she gets out at 11pm on a Friday night. I didn’t watch any Smackdown. I just couldn’t get into it.

I watched the news and Anne made me a soup and a sandwich and I watched ECW and went to bed.

I woke up about 3:30am and couldn’t get back to sleep after that. I wish I didn’t have to go into work this morning, not because of the cold but because of fatigue and I’m a bit wiped out from the week but I need the CC sales. Just 2 more for 20 to qualify and a few extra in case some decline for the bonus. That’s an extra $40 on my cheque.

Somethings got to give here. With our finances and all we’re barely cutting it. Fortunately we had a rental increase in October and since (by law) the next rental increase wont be 365 days from there so we have some breathing room. But they wont increase it by much yet every time they do Anne freaks out. The other thing is we have a chance to apply for rental subsidy, so that could help us out. Then I could always put more hours in on the job (last resort.) The DNC list is no doubt hurting us but its not unbearable. When someone other then the customer’s name on the screen says “put me on the DNC list” I don’t comply. The customer has to tell me that not the neighbor or the friend over for a beer or the secret lover hoping to get some. I might have to put more hours in after the new year pending the subsidy. Then the other thing is I could always get another job. I’m looking at security guard job (SGJ) work. Not all SGJ work is cushy though. A lot of it is on your feet and moving around. But I wouldn’t mind something like the WH job I had in 1994. That was a cushy job. Site was small a 10 minute patrol and most of the time it was sitting down reading. So, it’s not like we don’t have options.

Today I’m out of here at 9am to brave the cold waiting for my bus I’ll have my balaclava on and a 5 minute wait in the shelter. I‘ll be ok. I’ll get my Tim’s breakfast and the walk across the parkade by Corona station this morning is going to be the hardest part and the same route back after.

This next week is going to be a short work week what with Christmas and Boxing day in the middle of the week. It’s going to feel strange. This time next weekend Christmas will all be but over.

Speaking about this time of year, the Sun sets at 4:13pm. But the winter Equinox is December 21st after that the days get longer. Daylight savings time year 2 of the Canadian system to the American one is March 9th. What with December mostly over that leaves us with January and February for real winter. Daylight savings time is March 8th. I usually start thinking Spring Q3 of February.

After work I want to go to Future shop and have a look around and get some chips from the Dollarama store on the way back. I’ll have a bit of a nap. The Oiler’s are hosting Vancouver for tonight’s game. Once I get home, I’m hunkering down for the weekend. We’ve got Boots with us. Anne rescued him from the cold as soon as she got home.

Anyway, for the most part, that’s all from me for this weekend. I might post over there on Blogger Sunday.

Anyway Bloggers, that’s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: