Monday, September 22, 2008

Last night Anne

wanted me to take today off, so I’ll call in using Moe’s phone number or call in about 6:30 while he’s on shift. I still might swing downtown when Anne gets up to check that City Hall job board or even do that tomorrow on my way into the office.

For some reason that isn’t quite clear yet, Google Earth (GE) wont connect my account to their servers. They say I need Java enabled, which it is and to pass their 3 levels of server testing, which I did and passed but again, I still can’t connect. I’m thinking it’s a denial of services attack on my computer. I’ve tried a question into their help forums and I’ve gotten a few posts with the same problem but the moderators haven’t answered them yet. The other thing is, it could be a bug fixed in their new beta version of GE.

Also this morning I figured out the side-by-side image code thing. The reason why I had broken images was because I had no URL to the image code in my HTML table. Thanks to Markus for referring me to a program that stores images for me in my directory.

It doesn’t matter. It’s with any book I begin to read, it starts off slow and then I build momentum after about a third of the way. This book “The Icewind Dale Trilogy.” will most likely take me 10 weeks to read. Maybe by November 15th. I’m enjoying it. Then when I’m done with Ice, I can start on Lou Anders “Fast Forward” #1. This is interesting because I began the year reading “The New Space Opera” an anthology of short stories, and I end the year reading an anthology. I prefer reading anthologies with an assortment of different authors rather then a collection of short stories from a single author. Now I’m just guessing here but in a collection of short stories from a single author, the author is a little biased towards his stories that he would consider his “darlings.” In an anthology of assorted stories the author doesn’t have that kind of control. The editor might say “Not good enough, have you got anything else?” The editor of the anthology might have really high standards. With this anthology “Fast-forward” the editor has collected some pretty big names. I haven’t read any short stories from Elizabeth Bear but I have read one of her novels. I liked what I read. I haven’t read any short stories from Robert Charles Wilson either but I liked “Spin” but I’m still a slow reader, but with any luck at all, I’ll finish “Fast-forward” before the end of the year.

This next hour Anne’s going down to pay on the cable bill. We would have had it in Thursday night except for the pin login change fiasco at her bank. So I hope she’ll be doing that today, so I can watch Raw tonight.

It was nice yesterday to finally meet my wife’s sister after all these years. We kept the marriage from the her family because her mother at the time was going through a couple of strokes and wasn’t feeling well. We didn’t want to cause any undue stress in the family but her mother passed away a few years ago. So, it’s about time the family knows.

Anne’s out the door after having a long talk with Shaw Customer Service. Apparently Shaw is hiring. I’m sure they pay about $12/min hour and not just that but it would improve my Internet tech skills as well if I got hired on. A couple of things; they are located in the west end and they might have some kind of math test in the interview process. It might be something to think about but I’ll be calling up Shaw today for more information on how to submit my resume. If there is a math test then I’m screwed. If it’s out in the West end getting there could be problematic but for a job like that, might be worth while for me. It’d be great if I enquire today submit my resume over the Internet and get a call this week to go in for an interview and start the same week. But the dreaded math test (assuming there is one) might put the kibosh on the idea working for Shaw. Most likely Shaw is looking for employees with a background in IT. There wasn’t a math test as far as I know When Anne applied at Pizza.

In conversation waiting for our dinner last night at the Olive Garden, Anne mentioned about when Donna is going on another Cruise. And she said she’s about due, but doesn’t have anyone to go with. I wouldn’t mind but I just met her yesterday. Maybe in about a year or two. On the way home from the airport Donna mentioned about the time just before Anne and I got married how Anne was invited to spend a weekend in Miami but Anne got air sickness over Denver and had to take a plane home. Her mother had even given her $500 spending money. It kind of left a bad taste in Donna’s mouth but I said I love to fly and that in most places there is more turbulence riding on an ETS bus or Subway. Another thing is Donna goes to New York City a lot. Keith’s territory. Maybe in a year or two there’s a chance to meet Keith in person but that wont be for a couple of years yet.

Anyway Bloggers, that‘s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: