Monday, September 8, 2008

Another Monday

We were in bed by 4am listening to a bit of Coast. I slept until noon to catch some weekend news and some markets. Raw is on tonight.

Speaking about wrestling, yesterday WWE had its big “Unforgiven” PPV in Cleveland Ohio. Seems initial ticket sales were not going so well before show time. The Quicken Loans Arena max capacity holds something like 20,000 people but the week leading up to Unforgiven about 6,000 tickets were sold. To make it appear less empty local radio stations were apparently giving tickets away. Personally I think the WWE has way to many pay per views. They should have 4/year and concentrate on their tv shows. They are stretching themselves to thin. Now if the Raw announce table says that Unforgiven was sold out, this would have really left a bad taste in my mouth about the WWE. I liked wrestling when it was the WWF but thanks to the environmental group World Wildlife Fund’s lawsuit, they had to change the name to the WWE. The name WWE is more accurate anyway. I really enjoyed wrestling back in my early 20’s living in Coquitlam with the NWA. Me, Dave, Bob and Gord would pile into Bob’s car and the 4 of us would drive over to BCTV studios (still in that location) and watch the show almost every Monday night when I had money. I even recall attending the larger shows a the Gardens. I recall it cost $2 to get into the BC TV studio wrestling shows. The crowds were small, no flashing lights or pyrotechnics and intro music in those days. Ron Morrier would host the show and he’d always start off by saying something like “Hello to all the seniors and shut-ins..” Gene kiniski was the Triple H of his day. But back then and even when good ol Ed Whalen was running Stampede wrestling, wrestling was fun. The story lines were good and engaging. You felt a part of the going’s on. I recall how Ron Morrier would have this little old lady around his announce table hassling him and some of the wrestlers. She seemed to be a fixture to the show and always getting mixed up in the show somehow. When Stampede wrestling folded in 1989 I got into the WWF but I didn’t have cable so all I got was s magazine type hour long show.

Ok, moving along, today is the day we here in Alberta go to 10 digit dialing. I don’t know if we can load the 10 digits into our cell phones. The other thing is, how is this going to impact where I work? In the 80’s and most of the 1990’s we here in Alberta had just one area code (403). Then it was moved to (780) North of Red Deer. Now another area code has been introduced. I think it’s 587. But now we need to dial the 1 (area code) and then the number for local calls. Should be an interesting day today. At work were an outbound call center so I wonder if the tech guys have addressed this issue? I haven’t seen any tech guys in the verifiers room. Maybe this is just a software upgrade and we won’t notice anything.

I’m not much of a video gamer. These days being a gamer means someone that plays video games on the Xbox etc. If I was going to play these console games, it’d basically be in the SFF genre. Most action adventure games are first person shooters like “Doom” and “Halo,” they don’t do anything for me. I’ve had my eye on the new “Elder Scrolls” series for awhile now. I was enjoying the “Ultima” series a lot in the early mid 1990‘s and the “Bards tale” computer games before that. I even have a couple of the earlier “Elder Scrolls” games here for the PC but my graphics card at the time was hardly up to speed to enjoy the game. I enjoyed playing “Everquest” but it was to expensive playing this online game every month. I wouldn’t mind getting “Morrowind” and its sequels and “Oblivion.” But I only have so much time in a day. When Sony released its PSP I thought, “Hey, Everquest mobile.” But the tech to play Everquest on the PSP isn’t quite there yet. I’ve seen the YouTube hacks for this. People insisting they’re playing Everquest/Oblivion on their PSP. Yeah right.

Anyway Bloggers, that‘s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: