Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm having the mid week blahs

Anne was compelled to go out around 3pm too get KFC. For this she needed my bus pas. She called about 3:43pm as I was trying to finish up my book. I was to meet her outside and like a relay race she was to transfer my bus pass. At the crosswalk set of lights. There was her bus. We waved. I was getting a bit pissed off at this time. Then my bus came and she was at the light’s across the street. Another bus was coming by. I was holding my breath for the light to change, other wise I’d be waiting for a good. The light changed just as the bus was at the light. So here comes Anne strolling along oblivious to everything. I grabbed my bus pass in her hand and almost got run over by the damn thing. I love my wife but she can be so lame sometimes.

So that was what basically put me off for the evening. That and I sat beside another loud person. Most of these loud people are women. Never fails. I struggled all night to get $350 and was the last to get on the board with a credit card sale for $10 and my last sale for $30 also a credit card sale. By about 8pm my blood sugar level was dropping. I was struggling and even the empty pop cans were in short supply.

Alright, I think I finally narrowed my MP3 media players down to two models. I can get both of these locally. The first one is the Coby 4Gb touch screen the second is the Hip Street 8Gb touch screen. Both of these players have an external speaker and supports an SD card slot and can be picked up locally for under $100. The MP3 player is my first short term goal. Coast to Coast Streamlink my second. This way we can get the show and put the good ones on the media card and listen to on the weekends when we have more time.

Also I finished reading “Science Fiction Best of the year 2006” when I got home this evening shortly before 11pm. I liked this anthology but the stories could have been more evenly dispersed. Most of the better ones were near the end of the book.

Review Summary: Science Fiction “Best of the year, 2006 edition” A collection of Science fiction stories by some of the biggest names in the genre.

My Rating: 6.5/10

Pros: 6/15 of these stories were good or better, with 4 of them being Excellent. “The Policeman’s daughter” was the best of the bunch

Cons: Too many mediocre stories in this collection by writers that could have provided better stories then they did. There were some long stories in here as well, which were long and uninspiring. Pacing of the stories was poorly handled. I would have paced the better stories early in the book or at least spaced them out a little better then they were

Bottom line: This is a fine anthology of some good Science Fiction stories. It took me longer then I wanted to get into this book because the stories started off to be so lame. Things didn’t start picking up until about halfway through the book, then after Will MCCarthy’s story was I excited about what else lay ahead.

Would I recommend this book? Yes despite the way the material was presented, it’s still a pretty good offering.

So now I’m just beginning to read Elizabeth Bears Dust. It goes up the queue to currently reading. I hope to finish this by at least March 15th.

Today is day 13 of the winter Olympics. I’m really going to miss it. Mainly because it’s so historic for my country in many ways. Mainly because it was the first time our athletes won gold at home. Second because Wayne Gretzky got to light the external Olympic torch and because it’s being held in my home city. Where I’m from not where I live. Also this Olympics has opened my eyes up to some different kinds of sport. I like snowboarding and cross skiing now and I have a new respect for figure skating. Anyway, that’s all for now.

There's a photo of the book cover of the above "review" over there on my website

No comments: