Thursday, February 4, 2010

I don't like Wednesdays, I really don't

Wednesdays are not usually good with me. Good news is I'm off today except for Lodge duty tonight, but I'm going in covering for a fellow member absent because of work so I'm filling in for him and I'm paying my Lodge dues. So tomorrow is going to be a good Lodge day. There is no “junior member” for the Senior Stewards chair except for me.

Gasp! The Oiler's were playing Philadelphia at Rexall last night. The score was 0-0 when I was glad to get out of the office. More on that latter. When I got home the TV sports ticker showed Oiler's 1 Flyers 0. Wow! Apparently from the highlights Deslauriers was amazing. That was his first shutout and The Oiler's second straight win. Plus I come out even in my double or nothing with Jerry.

Despite all of that I had an ok evening except the woman next to me was so loud, I'm sure that's all my customers heard was her loud voice. Her voice was overpowering my attempt to converse with my customer it was hard to concentrate. I walked out of the office in a bad mood taking the other way around on the upper concourse of Corona station. I know the woman sitting next to me and I had forgotten how loud she can be. She was actually giving me a headache.

A most disturbing incident. About 11pm 2. 5 hours after I had left the station Tuesday night. These two teens a boy and a girl approached 3 men it seems in their 20’s begging them for change. This happens all the time. Some character last night tried hitting me up for change on the way into Corona as well. The guy Tuesday night apparently didn’t have any change or whatever and the “boy” pulled a knife on him and stabbed him. The teens wouldn’t do this if Corona station was crowded with people at 9:15pm. But the station after 11pm on a weeknight is sparse of LRT riders. The “girl” jumped on the security guard who was right there seconds after the stabbing and was trying to wrestle the “boy” down and the girlfriend or whatever jumped on the guard. The “kids” were quickly arrested and the man stabbed was taken and treated at the hospital with non life threatening wounds. The Grey Nuns Hospital (The General) is a block away. A couple of things come to mind here; firstly, I wonder what’s going through the minds of these kids parents? They must be reeling with concern. I know I would be if I was a parent. Secondly, I wonder if these kids worked where I work? What if Jerry fired the teens earlier that night? That could have easily been me there, pretty scary night. However though this kind of thing rarely happens in LRT stations even though there‘s been a string of LRT/ETS violence lately. My wife is often with a few co workers or even alone at about 11pm at Bay station, the next one up from Corona. That could have easily been her. Her place of work is moving out of the downtown area sometime in the Spring time and I’m kind of grateful they are moving around Stadium area.

I’m still working my way through “Science Fiction best of the year 2006.” The story I’m reading right now “The Policeman’s daughter” by Wil McCarthy is very good. So far the best story in the bunch. This is so far the 8th story in the bunch and its been the best 0f 14. I hope the stories will get better here on in. Anyway, that’s all for now.

No comments: