Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It's been an intersting couple of days here as not a lot is going on

I didn’t sleep very well last night. I had a blog post ready to go but I never got the chance to post it. We got some more crazy weather all day. It was snowing like a blizzard then Sun and snow mixed. The snow was even at some point blowing sideways. I got to my bus stoop and met Anne coming from across the street to meet me. I forgot the cell phone and she began threatening to get rid of them and wanted to start a fight. Uh-uh. I don’t need this on my way to work. I read for a bit on the train and noted the activity North of the Wayne Gretzky overpass just North of the Rexall place East parking lot. Something’s going on in there, plus we got the 23rd Ave interchange all geared up and ready to go and there’s Station Pointe (parkade ready to go) plus under construction is the Epcor tower. Also, there’s construction at the U of A and the parkade beside the LRT Health Sciences Center. And that’s just the projects that I know of. Not to mention the Southgate/Century park LRT leg development and the Century park development itself under construction. Despite the recession there’s lots of stuff still going on around the city.


I got into the office to the pharmacy to have the girl check my ticket. I signed it and she put it through. It makes a little “Wuwho” noise indicating a winner, I got $5 bucks. Upstairs I got my dialer. We got new headsets now. We’ve been told each one costs $129. I got a lot of cans and bottles. Super wanted me to do taps for ASB. The first hour I got absolutely nothing. Everyone else was getting $35’s here, $50’s there, CC sales left right and center. By 6pm I had nothing because I wasn’t reloading taps. I should have just to get some sales under my belt. At 6pm I asked Brandin to move me to WCS, which he gladly did but that was after all the big taps were gone from that. I ended up with just under a $100 bucks by break. I got the rest of the bottles and cans and made a $2 bet with DC on the Chicago/Flames game. I got a $10 CC sale and $165 for a lousy total but I didn’t feel to badly. Also the Flames were losing at the end of the 2nd period 3-0. I was happy about that when I left. Yet unlike a lot of Oiler fans happy for the Flames loss, I was rooting for Chicago because my father was a Hawks fan back in the 1960's before we got the Canucks in Vancouver. I have fond memories of mom serving us hamburgers sitting around with pops watching "Hockey night in Canada" on our trusty Black and White TV. Dad hated the Habs and we had a friendly rivalry going with our neigbors across the lane behind our house. During the playoff's especially if it was Montreal and they scored across the street they'd break out pots and pans aiming at our direction. When Chicago scored a goal, my mom would return the favour getting us kids to join in the fun. Saturday nights were pretty noisy around Coquitlam in our part of the neiborhood. It never got out of hand but it was a lot of fun. I can't recall what their last names were. They were more friends of my parents then the were of us kids but they came over often when the weather was nice during the summer I recall.

I was glad to get out of the office and I met up with Trevor, my book ordering guy at Audrey’s and he asked me how I enjoyed the evening with Robert J Sawyer last week. It was a blast. I caught my train and didn’t feel much like reading on the way home. It’s usually pretty noisy going back and I‘m considering earplugs just so I can read. When I got home I watched the last of the Hawke’s taking out the Flames. I loved it. I also won that $2 bet from DC. And the 8th place Ducks beat out the first place SJ. I loved that too. That could have been the Oiler’s in place of the Ducks. I got in and Anne was out so I watched Raw. On the heals of “Backlash“, Raw was pretty decent last night. I’d rate it an 8/10. Anne laughed at it as well with the Divas. Anne made us a nice roasted potatoes and bbq chicken breast supper and I read more from BRH. I should have this read by the end of the month.


Despite the economy and all here, Anne and I are doing alright. This last weekend she confirmed the Best Buy gift voucher she’s getting, and she’s giving that to me. Plus she got a nice thank you letter from a customer. My job is going ok and her job is doing fine. We have our rent for May already and most of our bills caught up. Also, I’m comfortable in the Lodge EA exam work I need to do in 2 weeks, Things are going good here.

Yesterday in Strangeness: The writer Frank Belknap Long was born on this date in New York in 1903. He push boundaries of writing weird fiction, fantasy, and science fiction in such classics as The Dark Beasts: And Eight Other Stories from the Hound of Detective (1949), to name but a few of his numerous work. He died on January 3, 1994 in New York………………1:55pm> We’ve got kind of a mixed bag out there weather wise. No snow but we got very unstable weather and I like it this time of year.


Anne got me up earlier then I’d have liked as she had to go out and do some shopping with my bus pass. I hope she doesn’t think this is a weekend an ends up getting here late. We got Boot’s in from overnight and he’s sleeping comfortable beside me.

I have a coffee going here and I’ll be blogging this and off to do other things. The big 6/49 draw is $32M on Wednesday and I’m considering getting another ticket with the plus entered. The game came out in 1982 and in the 80’s and 90’s I played occasionally. I didn’t have any money during those years. I still don’t but the draw amounts are so large now.

Anyway gang, that’s all for now


e. Jim

No comments: