Thursday, April 2, 2009

April 1st came in like a lion.

I spent the afternoon reading the rest of “The third Lynx.” I read on the train even as much as I could at work before kick off. I had about 4 pages left and I completed reading the book about 9:30pm. The 2nd part of Timothy Zahn’s Frank Compton series “The third Link” took me a little longer for me to read then I wanted. I’d hoped I’d finish the book off in 2 weeks.
Review Summary: Continuing the adventures of detective Frank Compton and his companion Bayta as they battle their enemy the Mordhri.

My rating: 4.5/5 e. Jim’s.

Brief Synopsis; Murder on the Orion express. Compton and Bayta race the Mordhri from Quadrail station to station in search for a sculpture called the Lynx. The Lynx fits into a special weapon the Mordhri need further his plans for expansion. Our traveler’s is joined by another Detective who doesn’t get along with Compton that provides a thorn in Compton’s side the whole adventure.

Pros: Very accessible in the first person with interesting character development.
Cons: The book kind of lags around details and is slow to get going.

Bottom line: I really enjoyed this book but it was hard for me to get into. The characters moved around to much and the action points could have been better. Still this was a great book and I’ll be buying the next one when it come out in MMP.

I got in shortly before 10pm and did some admin stuff about my dismal performance on the job this evening. I had my coffee thermos and book out and a sale which we now have to have them all verified. So, Super comes over to my station to verify a sale and knocks over my thermos wipes out my coffee and damages my book and stumbling through all of that costs me a sale as well. That didn’t exactly put me in a very good mood, which is why I got only $55 by break as others were pulling in CC sales and well over $200. Super said though that my bank was 5th over all in the office. That made me feel a lot better. He gave me some tips as well and I did a bit better. I collected some cans and bottles but my total was the lowest in the room. While everyone was doing great I suffered. I can’t have good nights all the time.

I was glad to get out of there. I couldn’t wait to get to Corona and read the rest of my book which I finished on the train.

Thursday I’m off and it’s Lodge night, and I’ll be glad to spend time in Lodge. It’s a regular business meeting but I’ve got to request WM that I bow out for the prove up in May. Manly because I won’t have the time to do my memory work and I don’t want to leave my Tyler post as well.

The book I’m reading now is an Everquest novel, “The blood red harp” by Elaine Cunningham. So far it’s not bad.

Anyway, gang that’s all for now.

e. Jim

No comments: