Monday, March 30, 2009

I had a nice weekend

despite hearing bad news about an incident that happened to a Co worker and his wife.

It unfolded unknown to me at the time as I usually see B leaving out the office or on his way to the train. I didn't see him Friday night. Saturday morning after I had left Tim's with my breakfast, there was no B to meet me out by the front entrance of the office. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

I sat at my dialer and had my breakfast and took my insulin. The phone was ringing off the hook and no B around. Then one of the guys came by and told me that B came home Friday night and found his wife dead on the floor. Cause of death unknown. We'll find out more details over the next few days but it put me in a downer and my performance on the job showed. I think it affected the whole office.

When I left out of the office at 2pm Saturday I just about passed out on the train I was so tired. The redi mart was closed so I couldn't get my 6/49 ticket for Saturday's draw. I played a bit of Oblivion for while and had a nap for a few hours. I played Oblivion while Anne called a couple of times to keep me company.

I took my sleeping pill about 3:30am Sunday morning and getting up here and there to use the bathroom but I woke up about 1:30pm in the afternoon. I feel a bit better about the weekend.

The the Oiler's had to lose of course. Even if the Oiler's don't make the playoffs and there's a good chance they wont get there, then I'll be rooting for Vancouver. After Vancouver then the Flames. After that any Canadian team still in the playoffs. This year I think it's going to be Washington and Calgary. Calgary deserves to win it all but if by some small miracle the Oiler's do get into the playoffs, then it'll be Washington and Edmonton in the finale. If they can get in but I doubt that's going to happen.

Some other disturbing local economic news here. It seems that Atco I-tek their customer care call center here is going to out source their part time call center work. Yes I'm all in favor of the market place but out sourcing our jobs to Mexico, China and or the Philippines, well just annoys me to no end. It's our politicians letting us down again. I once heard that no credit card information can leave the country. I don't know if this is true or not or impacts these offshore jobs at all, it should. And to think, I was almost close to getting a job there last October.

Friday I picked up Steven Erikson's Book 2 in his Malazan series. It looks like a really good series and I'm going to order the rest. I ordered the first 3 in the series.

Sunday afternoon Anne and I talked about me working at her place of employment 3 days a week but I like working security. It's 3 days more money and I can read and do work on my writing and bring a along a lap top. So I think what I'm going to do is to apply when I get my income tax because I'm going to need $50 to get a security clearance. If I don't get that then Pizza is my next source.

I'm still reading Timothy Zahn's "The third Lynx" and its way better then the first one. I'm about 60% into the book. This is really good.

I'm kind of looking froward to the new Star Trek movie "Academy." In a way its kind of silly to see the Enterprise looking more sophisticated in this movie then in the original series. I'm not going to go and spend $12 to see it though. I'll wait until it comes to the dollar theater.

If I do get the security guard job I'm going to apply at WH and see if I can get the site at Pacific Rim Mall. It's a small site and the only thing open after 7pm on a Saturday is the resturaunt upstairs but that was 1994 and they might not even have that site anymore. As long as I don't have to do apartments. The only reason why I didn't keep up with that job back in 1994 was because all WH could offer me was the shifts but I didn;t think about getting on with GWE at the time again.

The other thing is with WH I can get into playing ASL again and I'd insist Rob let me have Thursday's off and I wont work Sundays. I'd have WH Sunday night.

Anyway gang, that's all for now.

e. Jim

No comments: