Tuesday, June 23, 2009

All kinds of crazy crap going on for today

I left out of here yesterday afternoon at 4pm feeling pretty good almost thinking that bm is going to jump me over Friday but bm wasn’t even there. I collected my cans and bottles etc and got a pretty good haul. Super went and put me over to CPA taps. “Can I do $180 a l/h?” I’ll try. There were 5 of us and nobody did very well the first half but I had about $145 and that was enough to keep me. Plus I got all the cans and bottles during the 2nd half and went back to work. I did pretty good during the 2nd half and I got a CC sale. I learned a few tricks from other people saying that if they really feel uncomfortable I can call my supervisor over and the customer can give the number to my Super. That’s interesting.

After work I rode home with a Portuguese brother and sister team that‘s been working with us. We talked shop that kind of thing. I got home to find my wife not home and just in time for Monday night Raw. She came in saying she was sitting at the bus bench facing me watching me from the furthest intersection. She said she tried calling after me but I was oblivious. Anne made us a nice Angus beef burger supper and fries and we settled into watch a pretty good show of Monday night Raw, commercial free. And it was. What a great show. Especially the last man standing match. Near the end Vince and Trump were haggling for control of Raw. Vince bought back Raw “for double” what Trump paid for the show. Whatever the amount was, is undisclosed. I would have done the story line with a real jaw dropper. “I can’t sell Vince because I sold my share to somebody else.” Out comes Shane McMahon doing his little money dance thing. Now that would have been a better ending to the story line. At 63 Vince is still going strong and most likely will be doing this well into his 70’s.

One of these days, I’m going to get off at Belvedere station and poke around and ask what’s being built there. There are 3 construction sites where land is being cleared on my way into work, adjacent to Belvedere station, south of Belvedere station, and just before Rexall place. I know that Station Pointe is going in where all the digging is. I don’t know what’s being built in the other 2 locations.

The good folks at SF Signal have another Giveaway, season 5 of Stargate Atalantis DVD package. I’ve always liked Stargate Atlantis. I put my entry in.

I’m not a fan but apparently according to the Rexall Place website we’re having Fleetwood Mac here on Wednesday. My wife will like the Jonas brothers here July 2nd.………….12:50pm> my wife’s off today but most likely she’s going in on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. At least we get enough to pay the rent.

I couldn’t help but gently admonish one of the posters at Pat’s Fantasy hotlist writing a comment. I wasn‘t trying to create controversy or a thread or anything like that. In the body of his text he writes about Fantasy saying that “Fantasy can get away without historical background.” Well I’m no expert but it seems to me that without historical background in any story makes a story kind of thin and lifeless. Real life just doesn’t happen in a vacuum. My response was not a put down or an insult but mealy a statement of fact in fiction. The thing about SFF is that it needs world building of some kind to give the story depth and credibility relevant to the story. Any story of fiction needs world building: A sense of time and place otherwise it doesn’t seem believable. It’s all about suspending disbelief by making the impossible seem possible. I’m not talking about reams of historical background but enough historical background to give the characters in a story depth and meaning.

I’m back in the office this afternoon. Nobody won the $9M over the weekend but it goes up to $15M. I’m buying a ticket but not the extra. Hopefully I’ll have a quiet night like last night but a good one.

Anyway gang, that’s all for now

Jim

No comments: