Friday, February 6, 2009

it's in the little things

My wife and I got out of here about 1:20pm yesterday and we road the new look LRT train, she tripped getting on board but recovered ok. We rode the train into Central station, then to the bank I got a replacement debit card and was able to talk with someone about investing. RBC has something called Self-directed investing. I got some pamphlets and then we went into City Center phase 1 Mall food court. Weather wise it was very nice out there. Warm and Sunny and I wore my runners for a change. We decided to go to Ricky’s but after Anne sat down and looked over the menu didn’t see anything she liked so we ended up going over to Taco Time instead. We took a very crowded train home and I did some Internet stuff and called Neil about 5:30pm. His wife said he’s going to Lodge and would pick me up. Sure enough he came by at about 7pm.

We got to the Lodge and some of it was already being set up. I got to work on helping set up of what was remaining and because we were receiving a high District official, I was given a few lines to say to announce him and his entourage into the Lodge. I screwed up getting the Tyler sword. Receiving those lines sort of caught me off guard. I began to make the announcement but thy weren’t ready inside. After a bit then I was. We did some balloting as well and I screwed up there but it was no big deal. Also I was last to ballot and the WM had me in the spotlight informing me who was being balloted etc. It was kind of scary. I screwed up in that part to. J who was our master of ceremonies in his British accent took me aside and admonished me properly in a nice way and taught me how to do a few things. I’ll know better next month. I helped put the Temple furnishings away and went out for the Festive board. I bought a Stella (beer) and a can of diet Coke. I even got up to say a few things and got a nice round of applause. We had a great turnout of guys there tonight. It was a fun night. G took it upon himself to ask me if he could drive me home because Neil had some other things going on and I felt better about that. All in all, everyone felt really good about the evening. Sure I embarrassed myself a few times but it was a learning experience. I had a great time. A lot of guys that are in trades are feeling the effects of the economy.

If anything what this crisis is going to do is force people to be more productive to keep their jobs. It’s the little things that count. Anne and I were talking about this as well on the train ride downtown yesterday that some people at her place of work are more productive on a 4 hour shift then she is on an 8 hour shift only because they “sell” more Piazza’s products. And she’s conscious of this and she realizes she’s got to sell more. That’s what this economic crisis is going to do, is force people to work harder. Be better performers on the job. It’s not going to be the magic bullet that will keep my job but at least it will help me to contribute to the overall climate of productivity. That’s what’s going to pull us out of this economic mess not me alone but all of us together being more productive. Ask yourself what did I do today on the job that I can improve upon tomorrow? Focus on one thing and do it as best as you can. It’s the little things that count.

As for here in Alberta this current economic crisis might last us a another year or even 5 years but it will also force companies to keep their costs under control. They can separate the wheat from the chaff. Get rid of the slackers that don’t want to work that are only in it for a pay cheque.

Earlier yesterday afternoon when we got home from our trip downtown, I stumbled upon Ferguson’s music here in Edmonton. They’re located by the Inglewood area on 118th Ave. They’ve got an interesting teaching music concept and that is you take lessons to buy out your instrument. I already have a piano but I wouldn’t mind a full 88 Upright piano. Mostly I’d love an upright piano like a Mason & Risch or a Baldwin but theses uprights new would cost around the $5K range easily. Even if I took weekly piano lessons for 5 years it would take me about 250 lessons to pay for it. But Ferguson’s said I might be able to go in Saturday’s after work. Not just that but in five years I’d not only get good value for my money but also if I keep going for 5 years at $18 a half hour that’d be enough to get me a new upright piano and lessons as well. In theory. I’ll have more to say about this on Saturday. The other thing I’m seriously thinking about doing is diversifying my skill level in what I can do job wise. Sure, nothing is safe from an economic downturn but one thing I’d like to do is to take a few courses in Accounting bookkeeping. Academy of learning has course for 2 hours each Saturday morning. I can always sub a Saturday for a Sunday. Like I’ve said that before.

As for today, it’s into work and off to buy a book and get the MM forms for my website. Then Saturday I go over to Ferguson’s and check that out and on my way home, I go to MM and pay off my website then maybe go get a bite to eat somewhere and home for a nap. There’s an Oiler game Saturday but it’s an afternoon game on at 1pm. We’ll be able to see the first hour but then there’s a Sunday game in Minneapolis vs. the Wild. The Oiler’s won Thursday night…….. 12;55pm> Again I was in bed early this morning and awake about 9:30am. I laid in bed and dozed off here and there. It was my wife’s noon alarm that woke me up for the news and markets. Only oil was down by a bit.

Around the Blogsphere etc on Coast tonight: In the first two hours, researcher and lecturer David Wilcock talks about 2012, as “the year our DNA changes.” Oh…K. Over there at Fantasy magazine, Naamen Gobert Tilahun is talking about Stargate Atlantis and has some interesting things to say. Also, I added Scifi chick to my list of links page. Right under Scifi guy, naturally. Now back to reality again:

Angus Watt doing the markets and more was talking about the Obama stimulus package. Right Obama is trying to appease the Republicans to make the bill a bipartisan bill both sides can live with. In order to get the economy rolling again the banks need to feel more comfortable lending money. Obama wants to cover the banks losses (if any) That should encourage the banks, like City Group, Bank of America, etc to get money circulating and get credit moving again free up credit. I think it’s good strategy.

The other day, I mentioned in my “Runner” review high hopes for the sequel “Logos run” would be better. It sure is. I hope to have this book read in about 10 days or so.

I’m writing this on the fly as this afternoon I’m out to the job thing and because I didn’t get my cheque last night I’ve got business to take care of tonight.

Anyway bloggers, that’s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: