Monday, November 3, 2008

I'm enjoying my first

cup of coffee here this afternoon. Coffee should be a relaxing time. You take fifteen minutes or so off for quiet and enjoyment of the beverage. Letting it’s calming affects sooth away negative stress of the day. A cup of coffee is better then a cigarette anytime. Coffee doesn’t always work though. Some days a cup of coffee can taste so good you wish it’d last forever. Other days it tastes sour and for me if I drink more then 2 cups a day I have trouble sleeping at night. Today’s cup of coffee is just right. The only thing missing are my wake up tunes but I’m awake anyway.

Basically I’m still in the middle of this “Icewind dale trilogy,” book. This is a good yarn and I’m having a lot of fun with it. My next read will be hard pressed to keep up with this book. My copy of Icewind dale is getting worn because I’m hauling it around in my bag to work everyday, although the spine seems to be holding up well.

I had a nice weekend off filled with most of the things I wanted to do. I got some music theory in and watched a couple of good Oiler games. It’s nice to see them winning, even on the road for a change. I downloaded a lot of video as well last night.

A couple of video’s I was enjoying: First a 6 part documentary on L. Ron Hubbard. It Didn’t explain a lot about the last days of his life. I still have the original newspaper article about the news of his death that January in 1986. I was never a fan of Scientology or Dienetics but I liked some of LRH’s science fiction-writing. I enjoyed the novel “Battlefield Earth,” and subsequently his “Mission Earth” series. Just a few misconceptions about LRH: Firstly, so the story goes, LRH never met Aleister Crowley. LRH hung out with a student of Crowley’s in California a chemist by the name of Jack Parsons. They worked on a ritual together. LRH ran off with Parsons wife and a large portion of Parson’s money. LRH was never one of my personal hero’s. He was a curiosity for me that held some mild interest and occasionally still does.

The other video was a documentary on Aleister Crowley. This documentary was more engaging then the one on LRH and in 5 parts covered the life and times of Aleister Crowley better then the video on LRH. Both of these characters had huge ego issues. Hubbard I think more so then Crowley. I’ve read a lot of Crowley’s work in the 1980’s and even joined his OTO (Order Templi Orientus.) Crowley arguably has more substance in his work then LRH did. To me, LRH and his spin off orgs were more of a cult then the OTO. I went through 4 initiations with the OTO and thoroughly enjoyed my OTO experience. People often ask me if I believe in the Law of Do what thou wilt, Thelema and Liber Oz? The thing about “Do what thou wilt” is in it’s interpretation: It doesn’t mean you can walk around aimlessly and do whatever you feel like. Like everything in life there are consequences to one’s actions. Most people can figure this out for themselves. I’ll go into this some other time. But yes I wouldn’t endorse them if I didn’t have a link in my welcome block on my website would I?

Also I downloaded a video from a show like Coast to Coast about Aleister Crowley and his being a double agent in WW1. It was in 5 parts. Pretty cool.

Both these figures are larger then life. We don’t get characters like Aleister Crowley, L. Ron Hubbard or Lee Harvey Oswald anymore. It was a different time back then. The world has truly gotten smaller because of the Internet. Here's another photo. Sorry they're not in order. They were all taken within the last 20 minutes though. First came the book cover then the shot of the street and now the Sun's out:

I also took this photo about 10 minutes ago right after the one above. It's not a bad looking day out there. All the leaves are gone from the trees now. It's about +11C out there. Fairly mild for this time of year.In a couple of hours I’ll be out of here to head into work. I got my Lodge stuff all figured out (more or less) for Thursday. Tonight I’ll be on the job hard at it and maybe I’ll get a bit of reading in as well. After that it’s home for a night of good old wrestling.

Anyway Bloggers that’s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: