Sunday, November 9, 2008

I went into work

yesterday morning feeling pretty good. The air was pleasant. I got my dialer and had my coffee as staff began to file in. We had the football game on for the last 3 hours. First half I did ok but things broke down in the 2nd half. I was enjoying the game and because Anne was working I stayed a few minutes later to watch the end of the game. The Esks were one play ahead all afternoon and with seconds on the clock it could have been anyone’s game. Eskimos won and get to play another day-next Saturday in Montreal. Because of their last regulation game they won to cross over, so now it’s Edmonton in the East. If the Eskimo’s go all the way, then it could very well be Edmonton East/Calgary West for the Gray Cup. I don’t know the formula for this format or even how it comes into effect but apparently the league adapted this back in 1996.

The weather was gray out there after work with a bit of sunshine through the clouds. The wind was still and I wasn’t feeling tired at all. I got the train just as it pulled in and I was on the stairs going down and barely boarded the train for home.

Once home and inside I wasn’t too tied. I watched a bit of TV and about 4pm I decided I better get a nap. I woke up about 6:30pm missing Anne’s call I was that wiped out. M’s manpower referral card sat there for me so I went to the website and had a look at that. From about 6:30-7:30pm there wasn’t a lot to do except website stuff, YouTube etc. Anne had a frozen TV dinner thing for me and I began to prepare that and at 8pm she called as I was eating. She wanted me to go down and feed Boots. She was having a good and busy evening at her job. I told her about the referral card and the website.

Sports net had an English soccer game on Arsenal against Manchester United. I’m not a soccer fan but the game held some interest for me. I was actually enjoying it but I had other things to do, like feed Boots waiting downstairs and piano practicing, as well as backing up my hard drive.

The evening was relaxing and enjoyable. Icewind dale is coming along just nicely thank you. Book 2 of the Trilogy is almost read. I hope to be onto Book 3 by Monday afternoon heading into work.

Apparently management at work wants us to work Remembrance day so we can have Boxing day off with pay as long as we work the day before and the day after-yeesh. However thanks to this DNC list purging our data base of numbers to call (at the rate of almost 500 numbers/day we‘re losing) our data base is shrinking as we speak. I’m surprised we have anything left to call even now. We’ve been working on the same campaign for the last 4 months with some variations adding something else in the 2nd half type thing. I get the impression that my company wants to use us to get as much money out of our donor’s as possible. Squeeze them right down. Get as much work out of us as they possibly can. I got a feeling there won’t be a job for me to go back to after Christmas or even at the end of this month the way things are going. So because of that I submitted my résumé into manpower earlier this afternoon. When they open their office Monday morning they’ll see my résumé and hopefully they’ll call me for an interview. I said I would be available on the 12th. They might call me tomorrow and if they do I’ll ask for an interview on the 12th and if all goes well, I can start the 3 week training course next Monday. I’ll work afternoons inbound, and evenings at my regular job (while I have one.) However I’m taking this Tuesday off. If it’s just a regular work day and not a stat holiday why not?

My wife came home about 11:30pm last night and made us a bite to eat and I did some more piano stuff and took my sleeping pill and my insulin. We were in bed around 3:30am listening to a bit of Coast. The topic was about the Titanic. Good topic.

We’re going to have our brunch in about half an hour and at 5pm it’s the Oiler’s in NJ against the Devil’s so I’ll be watching the hockey game from 5pm-7pm.

What I’d like to see happening from the job thing is if I get hired on at the new job and work it as planed and work there Monday-Friday afternoons and my current job evenings and wait for the bottom to fall out. Rob gathers the night shift together: “As you all know, we’ve been struggling with this DNC list for sometime. We’re losing our donor base at the rate of around 500 names/day. I bring news some of you aren’t going to like: As of December 1st the Edmonton office will be closing its doors. You have over the next several weeks to locate other employment etc.” I can see such a thing happening. My wife’s job last January went through something similar last February except with her job they couldn’t staff their operation. We have the same problem. Even more so because Service and Immigration Canada does not recognize my company as proper employment for foreign workers thanks due to the lawsuit against my Company. I see such a speech being made within the next few weeks.

This evening, I’m going to be watching that Oiler game, reading Icewind dale piano work etc.

Anyway Bloggers that’s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: