Sunday, October 12, 2008

Meh

Frost appeared for the first time this fall. Not that it was cold or anything going into work. It was bright and sunny out there and I had a nice relaxing ride, trying to wake up on the train heading into work. My battery for my MP3 player died out on me. Twice and I’m out of batteries. I think I need an IPod. This little Rush player is still useful but well over 4 years old. Time for a new one with a bit more functionality. I must have spent close to $100 bucks on batteries. I know there are AAA battery rectangle kits out there. But before I get one of those I’m giving this player to my wife. I’m going to get the IPod.

I got to my end dialer and looking forward to having a great morning half of the shift and my first sale was a CC. Things were looking good. Not. I had another CC but my total was low. The floor manager kept me there for as long as his line hour would allow, however before I got moved to the other side at only about $400 (everyone else was at about $480-$680) However I had 5 CC’s and that’s all I cared about. Anne called me from her job as I had 30 minutes in m y shift. Last night with the same source at the same location I had over $1,000 in a 3.5 hour shift. Even the boss showed up to do pay roll and asked me why was I sitting in the cheep seats? “I’m having a slow shift.”

I was glad to get out of the office. I have 27 CC’s on the week and some of those were at $3-$5 each. I could have about $50-$60 for bonuses next week on a full cheque. That’ll buy me a few Science Fiction books at Audrey’s next week. If Rob pays me.

Outside on the street leaving I had a decision to make. Do I want to go to Pure Speculation or home? Most of the panels scheduled there were for today. I’d miss the main RJS ones anyway because I was at work. Of course there’s always the Sunday panels. It’s a meet and greet photo op with RJS etc. I might still go but my camera isn’t working properly and this couldn’t have come at a worse time. Right now the costume shindig is under way. The last one of those I ever attended was back in 1979 at Non Con and I remember how much fun I had then. I wish I had the interest to take photo’s for prosperity back then.

Meh, so I went home on the train. I didn’t even read, I was that wiped out but when I got home I fired on the computer and had at that for awhile then I went for a snooze for a couple of hours. Anne’s phone call woke me up around 5:30pm and I got involved in watching this Paul Newman movie “Sweet bird of youth.” I hadn’t seen it before, not being a Paul Newman fan or anything but I liked the movie. Anne called me shortly before her 6pm break was over and she wants to get Pizza tonight. Wuwho! I took my insulin about 8pm fed the cats and Anne’s off work at 10pm. Pizza will be here in about 2 hours.

Yesterday I picked up 2 books from the backlog of books I have waiting for me at Audrey’s. I got the “Warcraft Archive” and a Warhammer 40K omnibus: “Blood Ravens.” Should be a couple of good ones. I have 10 books there now waiting for me. They want me to pick up the rest of those before I special order or even pick up anything new from their stock. I wanted to get Roger Zelaney’s “The Great book of Amber.” collection but Trevor said the book is still in stock. Good.



Anyway, I have 2 days off and I’m happy about that. Recently I’ve been tinkering around with the website. The first thing a casual observer will see is the change in the photo block. I’m not done with that yet either. Also accidentally gone is the Google ad. Apparently the ad was place on a static page called “Welcome to my website” etc. Now this is its separate block. The idea was to have “currently reading” and reading next in their own block but the images are 2 small for the middle column. Trial and error. I’m thinking I’d like to have the website “mission statement” back in the logo. It looks better there and will tighten up the photo block to make room for “currently reading” etc in there. Google add a bit of color to my site and “revenue.” but the ads for content haven’t been working for me lately. For instance, when I talk about and supporting Harper for PM I get these silly derogatory remarks about Harper. Like I said previously, I’m not a Progressive Conservative kind of guy if anything I’m a center libertarian but in my humble but accurate opinion Stephan Harper at this time is the right way for Canadians to go. Half the time with Dion nobody understands what’s coming out of his mouth. We all know Dion and May want a carbon tax. The NDP want a cap and trade, which amounts to the same thing. Ok lets get off that rabbit trail. Ads for content doesn’t work for me. Not like there’s a lot of money in Adsense anyway and this site isn’t about making money. Its not content for the masses. However, I still wouldn’t mind making a little money from this site even if it’s just enough to have the ads pay for the site. I’m working at getting a tower ad on the right sidebar. From Amazon or something else, I’m not sure yet. Website tinkering goes on.

Sunday, I’m relaxing. The Oiler’s have their season opener on and Monday I’ve got Raw and Anne is making me up a nice set of baby back ribs instead of turkey for holiday Monday. I’ve got enough to keep me busy, When Pure Speculation rolls around next year, I want to have my first professional sale and my teeth all done. And my camera working for me. I want to do it up right. No doubt the organizers of Pure speculation are already planning for next year. This might not get edited right away so maybe tomorrow.


Anyway Bloggers, that‘s all for now


e. Jim

No comments: