Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hey, it's the first Saturday of October

I shut the place down around 4pm and I had a brief wait under clear blue autumn skies. I think it was about +21C out there. Very nice.

I recall this time 1979 I wasn’t quite at the Meyer place yet but living out there with Larry & Hubert at the Riverside towers. If you go to Google earth you can see the twin towers by the stadium. I lived in the one facing North-East, 17th floor near the top. The 2 red brick Boardwalk buildings weren’t there yet. Anyway no delays on the train today. I read about 3 pages of Ice and had a good time then into work. Rob asked me about Thursday night, He was in a good mood I said, “This was an arrangement between me and my night room manager.” I didn’t like how that came out. “First Thursday of every month, you know Lodge meeting?” He Didn’t put up much of a struggle.

So we merged our “tap shooter” with the front 20 and Rob gave a kick off and I was doing and feeling comfortable with the disclaimer doing CRF. I got a $50 and a lot of $25. Rob doesn’t like the $25’s but there’re cold calls Rob. Moe showed up about 6pm. I was feeling good. I got my cheque early and all my hours. Not quite a full cheque. Anne called on her break and I talked with her. I was having a good time even though the person next to me was rather loud. Finally break and I was sitting at about $200. Other then Monday this whole week was cold calling. I don’t mind it. I’m comfortable in my pitch and my technique. I ended up with $365. Not bad for a slow Friday night. And we had a decent crew there as well. We were playing this guess a number from 1-75 on the white board. For each $25 guess we get $5. I had about a dozen chances but I didn’t get 1 number. I was a bit pissed off as well because the person next to me near the end (not using the disclaimer) got 1 number guess near the end. I shouldn’t complain because I did the same thing before the DNC list and year to date I received about $1,000 in bonus money. So I shouldn’t complain over $5 bucks. We ask for the CC’s but it’s almost impossible to get CC’s doing cold calling.

Everybody was getting a good job, well done etc but ignoring me. I felt pretty low. But I was glad to get out of there. “What do I care as long as the cheque don’t bounce.” It was nice and mild heading across the parking lot to get my bus and a brief wait. I should have called Audrey’s while I was waiting but I’ll be going in for this afternoon after work to pick something up. I’m looking at that “Everquest” book as I‘m really enjoying this “Icewind Dale“ trilogy.

I took the bus up there to my bank with Shashank, one of the 30 something East Indian kids that somewhat befriended me. I got to my bank did my banking and took out $100 my wife needs to pay bills with. Somethings got to give here because we need that subsidy. I think we’ll work on getting it out this weekend. Right now we’re waiting on the gst cheque and that’s going to help pay for my Pure Speculation weekend. I’m thinking about a weekend pass. I’m trying to get Charles to go with me but he might be working that night afternoon. But Pure Spec wont be held until Oct. 18th and 19th. So we’ve still got some time. So, I did my banking and down the stairs at Central Station and I heard my train pull in. Good stuff. I was home by 9:15pm.

Speaking about Pure Speculation, Robert J Sawyer will be there and I want a picture taken with him. I have one from before when he was here in late April of ’07 but it wasn’t a very good picture of me. Also, Minister Faust will be there as well. I’ll be bringing my camera this time.
That week of Pure speculation will be an action packed week. Firstly its right on the heals of the Thanksgiving Day long weekend. Then there’s the Federal election October 14th. Plus there’s the FC on that Thursday. So, I’ll be working that morning. Or at least trying to. And if Rob cuts me off because I’ve got $50 bucks at 11am, fine its just gravy money anyway. Then that weekend after Thanks Giving day is Pure spec. So this will be a busy week for me.

Last night I had a good time watching a special wrestling evening. It wasn’t a live show like Raw but they had all of Raw and Smackdown and ECW put into one show. It was pretty good. Anne came in about 11:30pm made me some Pizza pops and fries. I developed a bit of a toothache again on my lower right side. It wasn’t a deep pain more like a burning sensation. But I took a pill and it felt a bit better but getting some sleep sure was tough. I never sleep well over night Friday/Saturday if I got a lot of sleep overnight Thursday/Friday. I pay for it Friday/Saturday but I’m feeling alright now. I’ve got another pill for tonight if this thing doesn’t go away. Right now it’s just a dull minor annoyance. Other then that I don’t feel to bad.

Today, it’s going into work this morning and I’ll bring my cash and after work I need to go into Audrey’s pick up a book, then call Nathan to see how things went from Thursday night and the elections for my Tyler position. Then I want to call Charles and see if he would like to go to Pure Spec with me. He’s got the wheels to get out there and Pure Spec is enough of a head start he can make plans with.

What else? Oh about 3:30am this morning I couldn’t sleep because of the toothache pain so rather then disturb my wife I got up to watch some TV on the couch. She last had the TV on Space (Sci-fi for my American readers.)

They had a half hour spot on the making of Star Wars “The Clone Wars.” This was really a fascinating look into the effort that went into making this production. The Clone wars begins October 10th and I’ll be watching. It looks really good. I made a comment about this in SF Signal saying something like “It looks hokey to cartoon-ish.” for me. Wow was I ever wrong. Likes Like I’ll have to pay SF Signal a visit and eat Crow. I’m really excited about this series. I’m not a big fan of Anime but this one looks good. Sorry for any typos or edit’os. I’ll fix it up latter after I come home and have a nap.

Anyway Bloggers, that‘s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: