Saturday, January 23, 2010

There is a bit of ranting in this post

I left out of here with barely time to spare yesterday morning. I felt alright heading into work on the train. I read a bit and got into the office about 8:30am. A few of our morning crew were sitting up by the other end where I set during my evening shift. We had 12 of us working cold doing OTH. One of the guys has a scalping/Oiler ticket side thing going on he was telling me. He says if your selling the tickets above cost it’s illegal. I might buy a ticket from him next month before the regular season games are over and done with. If I can get a lower bowl ticket for $35 I’ll go.

I had a pretty good Friday morning pulling in a $20 card and a total of $140. I was happy about that. Jerry never said anything about me missing the two days because I had said what was happening earlier. I got my pay check and it was a decent one at that.

Not only that but the weather was half decent as well for a Friday afternoon. In fact it was really mild out there heading up Jasper on the #5 to my bank. I did my banking and hopped aboard the Clairview train home. Weather wise, I’d say it was about -6 out there under overcast skies. It was like a winter wonderland out there. Very nice.

Anne was up and she made me a lunch and headed out to work. I wanted nap and I was in bed about 3:45pm for a 2 hour power snooze with Boot’s sleeping by my thigh on the bed, keeping his distance.

I’m slowly working my way through the 2006 “years best” Anthology. Most of the stories are well written but are kind of lame. The Joe Haldeman story is the best of the bunch. Short and sweet. The rest so far are bland and mediocre. They don’t work for this Blogger. I’m about half way through the book. Thing about anthologies is that you can’t establish a rhythm. There’s no string of great stories. At least not in this anthology. It’s going to take me a long time to finish this thing.

Most of you know that read this blog know I'm not the one to go jump on a bandwagon but I'll make an exception here because it is such a good cause. In case you've been hiding under a moon rock this week and tired of hearing all the Tiger Woods rehab and Jay Leno talk show woes and have shut off your media outlet because of the noise, you might have heard about the earthquake tragedy in Haiti recently. Being a broke poor telemarketer and aspiring author I've been looking at ways on how I could get involved and donate to Haiti relief. Thanks to SF Signal for a link in their post today: Crossed Genre "Post a story for Haiti." This is a good idea for all my fellow SFF authors out there that would like to donate to Haiti relief. It's a good idea and I'm going to work on story and upload it this weekend.

I had some chips diet cola and the Dallas/Oiler’s game was just getting underway. The Oiler’s were taking way to many penalties and got some bad breaks in the early part of the game. But there were again too many obvious calls throughout the game that should have been called but weren‘t. Here’s an example: Behind the play caught on camera a Dallas player swipes the feet out from underneath our goal tender to a chorus of boos. No penalty. Same play from the Oiler’s would have earned them a penalty guaranteed. This reminds me of the Mick Magoo incident of March 2008. I know it sounds like I’m whining but I’ve got 17,000 other people that witnessed seeing the blatant penalty in my corner. The officiating this year is terrible and I’ve seen lousy officiating across the league but the officiating over the years has degraded significantly. Why aren’t the referees being held accountable for missed calls? Maybe they should. How about for every penalty they miss they get docked part of their pay? Maybe this is already going on and I’m being a little naive here but the sloppy officiating is frustrating from a fan perspective. I blame Bettman for this. It’s almost like he’s having a tamper tantrum because of the Bacilli/Phoenix ordeal that went down earlier before the season kicked off and he’s taking it out on Canadian teams. I know that sounds silly but hey its my blog and I can rant if I want to. And it’s not just Canadian teams either that are on the receiving end of sloppy officiating. The Oiler’s owned the late second period and most of the third in last nights game and deserved better then they got for their efforts. The Dallas Stars tied the game and then with 22 seconds left as the Oiler’s well they couldn’t hang onto the puck in the defensive zone behind our blue line and Dallas scored to win the game 4-3 in another Oiler heart breaker losing their 10th straight loss and 16/16 losses. I thought the Oiler’s played a way better game then the one the other night. They are a competitive team just one of many teams on the wrong end of sloppy league officiating.

Ok enough ranting. At least it’s a mild weekend out there. Anne and I decided that if it looks like I’m getting line hour and qualify for the line hour bonus and I’m having a good day, I’ll stay until 4:30pm. If I’m sucking then I’ll leave at 2pm go get my book at Audrey’s and go home. Anyway that’s all for now.

No comments: