Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sorry if this seems to be a bit disjointed and poorly written today, im not quite myself this afternoon.

I had a nice couple of days off. Saturday night Anne made us each a rack of baby back ribs baked potato, beans and a nice piece of dark chocolate cake all this while she rented us out “Quantum of Solis,” the 22nd installment of James Bond. On a scale of 1-10 I’d rate this an 8.5. It was better then the last one, however the quality of our DVD copy was scratched in some places. This was the first DVD title that I’ve ever watched. This movie was really good and I enjoyed it. And yesterday while Anne was at work, I watched the Carolina at Pittsburgh game 1 and then Monday night Raw.

Since 1984 the Edmonton Oiler’s had won their first Stanley Cup 25 years ago today. That was on a Saturday night May 19th. Global News had talked about the anniversary of that event. It was great seeing glimpses of downtown Edmonton as it was 25 years ago as the Cup was paraded around the downtown core. I was 31 years old at the time. I was thin and I had teeth! LoL. I recall watching that game on that Saturday night. I recall how I wrote in that diary, which is stored away in the closet but I have a recollection of that night quite vividly. I had a small room in Trudy’s house no larger then this room and paying $150/month. I had a desk my TV and a bed and at one time I even had a phone in there. I was working at the Army & Navy at Cobogo warehouse now called the Cobogo lofts and had been working there for about a year. Little was I to realize 25 years latter the Oiler‘s would trade off Wayne Gretzky and go on to win another 4 Stanley Cups their last being in 1990. The last of the true dynasty teams in the NHL.

Speaking of hockey, tomorrow a Phoenix Judge will decide the case of the bankrupt Phoenix Coyotes and the bid by Blackberry billionaire Jim Balsillie to move the team to Hamilton. The right thing to do is what‘s governed by free enterprise. It‘s not the NHL that owns the team its Jim Moyes. I hope the Judge does the right thing and lets Balsillie keep the team to do what he wants with it but there is another player in this drama, Chicago Bulls Owner Jerry Reinsdorf also wants to buy the Coyotes and apparently he’s also happens to be a pretty good friend of Bettman. Now if Reinsdorf wants to move the team to Winnipeg, then great. I’d rather see an NHL team in Winnipeg then in Hamilton. I doubt it very likely that a decision will be reached this week. This thing could drag out for a long time.

There was bit on the news about the Chinese auto company “Build Your Dreams,” producing the first ever commercial electric car. The car can go 250 miles on one charge. They call it the e6. I think they said the cost would be anywhere from $21,000-$25,000. They should be hitting the North American market soon.

Why are the auto manufactures having so much trouble selling cars? There are about 8-10 million new cars being sold each year in the US and possibly world wide. This is down by half. It’s kind of hard to buy a car when you don’t have a job. You know that song, “I can’t get a girl cause I don’t have a car and I can’t get the car cause I don’t have a job,” Of course the banks these days are reluctant to lend money to consumers because they’re not doing well themselves. Here in Canada there is supposed to be a deadline to which the auto manufacturers here can qualify for some of the huge bail out money. Yeah like on the backs of its workers that got them so successful in the first place.

Sci-fi guy.ca is pushing the Young Adult theme again. Some authors are jumping on the Young Adult band wagon. I wont read YA but occasionally I get sucked into buying one. The YA market took off thanks to JK Rawlings but Harry potter isn’t YA. It’s a story for kids. And I’m wondering exactly who is reading YA? Is it the adults or young adults? The term YA is misleading because it’s a murky phrase. When I was a teenager I read science fiction. What because the term YA comes along and now I can’t read regular science fiction anymore? What’s next an ESRB rating system for books like they do for the gaming industry? Actually this would seem more palatable then having to fish for books that look really good only to find they’re YA. At least with an ESRB rating type system for novels would make it easier for the consumer to sort through all the genre’s and stuff bogging down SFF these days. I wish there was some kind of regulatory board like the Comics Code authority that lists books for what they are. They could do this right on the spine or back cover. SF = science fiction, Steam punk= SFCP, type thing. Fantasy F rated “T” for teen. I think I’m going somewhere with this. More on this latter.

Hubble finally gets a refit. It’s about time. They’ve been in space now for a few days and the HST is now a whole new instrument. I wonder if its going to work with the current Kepler mission?

Dan Brown’s “Angles and Demons” opens up this weekend. Looks like a pretty good movie. I had issues with the “DaVinci code,” and one day I’ll be putting this in my “On….” topics……………12:50pm> Climbing the Eiffel tower stair by stair might be good exercise but the 120 year old structure does have an elevator and as soon as I win the 6/49 jackpot is one of the first countries I want to visit. Speaking about the Eiffel it’s the anniversary of this structure. Wiki it for the details.

Two days now of the Dow moving up. Oil is at $59.90 struggling to reach $60. This number is my magic number, not anyone else’s. High oil prices are good here in Alberta and that translates into jobs but with a world wide recession going on $60 oil doesn’t mean much when companies are laying off workers by the thousands.

Oh, I added a bunch more links to my link list of sites. I also find a great site called “Canadian Science Fiction.” I put that near the bottom of the books I plan on reading next. Also I added “Fantastic Fiction” underneath that as well.

Anne left up the street for chicken. It’s “Tooney Tuesday” KFC’s big sales day here in Canada. I think its 3 pieces of chicken for $2 and tax of course.

It’s a pretty good deal but I cant stand the stuff. I Haven’t had any KFC in years thanks to biting on a vein and almost bringing it up because it was so greasy.

I’m in for my 5-9 this afternoon. That’s okay Tuesday’s are good days and the shift will go by fast.

Anyway gang, that’s all for now

e. Jim

No comments: