Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I'm having trouble sleeping lately

I got to bed about 3:30am and listened to a bit of Coast. I slept a little bit until about 5am or so and tried to get back to sleep. It was around 6am I figured I’d get up and do a bit of reading from “The Space Wolf” omnibus. I’m really enjoying this book. I like how King is using the Space Wolves as a quasi military religious order in a SFF setting. I read for an hour and tried going back to bed. I think I did about 7:30am or so.

I kept on waking and dozing off and on. This is the kind of mornings I need the morning shift because as tired as I was I couldn't sleep. I’d be home now tired enough for an afternoon nap and Anne could use the bus pass. Doing a few split shifts are going to be hard on me and the all day Saturday afternoon is as well. But I get off at 4:30pm and I can rush over to Audrey’s before they close at 5pm on a Saturday or if we get half an hour for lunch I can run over on my lunch break. We’ll be doing this new Schedule next weekend right after the Thanksgiving weekend. That 6.5 hour shift is going to be brutal. But I can use the extra hours. The Saturday just keeps me at my current hours. I’d probably do the split shift, Monday and Tuesday that way it’s just mornings off Wed, Thur, Fri. having Friday nights off will be a lot better for me as well. Anne works Wed, Fri and Saturday so for Saturday she’d have to get an extra ticket. I’ll do the splits when there is no Oiler game on. Speaking of which they won a game in a shootout at Rexall Place last night. Good stuff. Penner scored his 2nd goal. The next game is Thursday.

Anne and I were talking here about getting Boots fixed up because we don’t want him to spend another winter out there and playing revolving doors with the other cats. Boots wont travel a bus well so we’re going to take him down to one of the vets near us. It’ll cost us $175. We can barely afford our rent as we’re behind on that this month as it is.

Since this time yesterday we received a 10 degree drop in temperature. We barely got it +1 with a minus 4 wind chill. I haven’t seen the long range forecast yet so hopefully by the weekend it’ll warm up to the high single digits again.

I’ve had 2 awkward days in a row sleeping wise and tomorrow Pat and Berry want to take us out for breakfast Thursday morning. That’s ok they seem like nice people. I don’t mind getting up early again. The great thing about working the morning shifts is that I can watch the new shows when they come on. I haven’t seen Flash Forward or even the new Stargate Universe yet.

Last night on the job Jerry had me move to taps (retention). We were doing Cops for Kids, again. I was surprised even though I had a slow start at least I got a few cards. I ended up with $345 by break. I got 3 more cards for 5 and a $100 card. I was flying. I’ve been using a slightly different tap pitch by mentioning the charity in their Province. As soon as the customer asks “Where are you calling out from?” The sale is lost right there 90% of the time. They get pissed off when they ask that here in Edmonton and area because they know they can’t use the tired old “We only give locally.” I usually get about 6 of those a night. The other thing I’ve been saying in my pitch is asking to confirm their current address. Get them to say “Yes” a lot. That seems to work. I ended up with an $835 total a bunch of empties and a $10 bonus on my next pay-check. That’s what I call a great night. Unfortunately, we’re only going to run CFK for 3 weeks. The high tap numbers will drop off by Friday or Saturday. By Friday I’ll be getting about $600 totals then next week about $400-500 totals and the last week about $150-200 totals. Then we go onto Magic n Miracles. Jerry’s got all the campaigns listed out in order how we do them so we know what’s coming up next. We lost Block Parents though.

Anyhow, it’s time to double check this, post and update my Facebook page and ready for dinner.
Anyway gang, that’s about all for now

Jim

No comments: